Kwesi Nyantakyi granted bail

Kwesi Nyantakyi granted bail after questioning him

The police on Wednesday evening granted bail to the President of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), Mr Kwesi Nyantakyi, after he was interrogated over allegations that he had used the names of the President and the Vice-President to extort money from some supposed investors.

Mr Nyantakyi was picked up by plainclothed policemen moments after his flight had touched down at the Kotoka International Airport (KIA) from a trip to Morocco.

Detectives from the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Police Service, who had positioned themselves at the airport awaiting his arrival, wasted no time in whisking him away to the CID Headquarters for questioning.

After questioning him, the police took Nyantakyi to his house for a search.


The action by the police followed a report made to them by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo.

According to a Deputy Chief of Staff, Mr Samuel Abu Jinapor, the President last Tuesday reported Mr Nyantakyi to the police for investigation after he (the President) had watched portions of the latest investigative work by the ace investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas, dubbed: “Number 12”, which will be premiered in Accra on June 6, 2018.

Mr Jinapor said Mr Nyantakyi was seen in the video allegedly using the names of the President and the Vice-President to extort millions of dollars from some supposed investors.

Since the FA boss, who is also the first Vice-President of the Confederation of Africa Football (CAF) and Council Member of FIFA, was out on an international assignment in Morocco, the police could not effect his arrest last Tuesday.

However, when word reached the police that he had cut short his visit to return home, the detectives waited for him at the airport.


At the CID Headquarters, plainclothed men accompanied Mr Nyantakyi, who sported a blue suit, to the Operations Unit of the department.

For more than four hours journalists from various media houses waited in vain to catch a glimpse of Mr Nyantakyi to update their listeners, readers and viewers.

While some tried to access information from various sources, others were seen chatting in groups or filing their news reports.

The General Secretary of the GFA, Mr Isaac Addo, and two executive committee members, Mr Wilfred Osei Palmer and Mr Kweku Eyiah, were seen at the CID Headquarters.

My Nyantakyi was moved to the Conference Room of the CID, where he was interrogated.

Although police officials, both at the CID Headquarters and the Police Headquarters were tight-lipped about the arrest, an official press release confirmed that the police were investigating the GFA boss for alleged offences, including corruption.

The statement, which was signed by the Director of the Public Affairs Unit of the Ghana Police Service, Mrs Sheila Kessie Abayie-Buckman, assured the public that due processes would be followed in the investigations.

It, therefore urged any person with relevant information to contact the CID Headquarters to assist with investigations into the matter.

Credit: Graphic Online

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *