The National Communication Authority (NCA) has rolled out an initiative to extend and increase data accessibility to unserved and underserved communities in the country.
The authority, through the initiative, seeks to give telecommunication companies (telcos) the opportunity to deploy 3G coverage to rural communities using the 900 megahertz (MHz) frequency band assigned for 2G services.
The move is intended to promote digital inclusion in the unserved and underserved communities in the country and increase data penetration.
Pay as you tow your vehicle – Osafo Maafo
Until the law on road traffic regulations is amended, owners of break-down vehicles will pay for the cost of mandatory towing services after the services have been delivered to ensure safety on the roads, the Senior Minister, Mr Yaw Osafo Maafo, has announced.
Such an arrangement, he explained, was to ensure the provision of towing services, while the law, L.I. 2180 (Road Traffic Regulations, 2012) goes through the amendment process.
At a meeting with owners or representatives of towing companies in Accra on Thursday, Mr Osafo Maafo advised all towing service companies which had the capacity to tow break-down vehicles and were ready to accept post-service payment for now to register with the Ministry of Transport to be licensed to do so in accordance with the law.
Major Mahama’s alleged killers storm court with Bibles
The Accra Central District Court on Thursday became a worship centre when the 20 alleged killers of Major Maxwell Mahama appeared in court singing praises.
Holding Bibles and other Christian literature, the 20 accused made their entrance to the court room with songs of praise.
They continued with their singing on their way back to the vehicle that was to transport them back to the Nsawam Medium Security Prison.
In the vehicle, the accused could be heard singing more praises and also praying.
Their actions attracted some people, who either joined the singing or made sarcastic comments about the spectacle.
Meanwhile, at the hearing itself, the prosecutor, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Mr George Amegah, informed the court that the police were still awaiting the Attorney-General’s (A-G’s) advice on the case.
Govt releases free SHS funds
The Ministry of Finance says it has released more than 50 per cent of the funds needed to finance the implementation of the free senior high schools (SHS) programme.
Speaking to journalists in Accra on Thursday, a Deputy Minister of Finance, Mrs Abena Osei-Asare, said GH¢280 million out of the GH¢486 million required for the flagship programme on education had been released.
She explained that the accounts of all 647 schools across the country would be credited by the close of today for the smooth take-off of the programme.
Mrs Osei-Asare stressed that the government was committed to the free SHS policy and would ensure its successful implementation.
The deputy minister’s interaction with the media was on the sidelines of a high-level roundtable stakeholder consultation on the 2018-2021 medium-term budget to be presented to Parliament by November 15, 2017.